Trinity Lutheran Church of the Deaf
November 2015, Google Street View

Trinity Lutheran Church of the Deaf

409 Swissvale Ave. very near the border with Edgewood

Nicole Buchlmayer writes, “The congregation began as all things do here, quietly . . . when a small group of deaf people gathered for prayer.” The congregation first met in 1921 or 1922. They lacked a permanent home. They met on the North Side and downtown and at the First Trinity Lutheran Church in Oakland.

In 1962 the construction started for Swissvale Avenue church. The congregation held a dedication service on March 31, 1963. The church is within a block of the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf.

The church attracted people from Western Pennsylvania and beyond. Sign language is the first language of many people in the congregation.

______

Wilkinsburg Public Library Digital Archives:

“Deaf pastor to interpret at Graham crusade,” Nicole C. Buchlmayer, The Progress, May 26, 1993, A-17.

“Church with Silent Worship Plans Open House May 5,” Peggy Shoup, May 2, 1963.

“Deaf Congregation Dedicates New Wing Mar. 27,” The Gazette—Wilkinsburg, March 1966.